Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Importance of You Connecting to Your Brand

Yep, that's me...RockStar! JaymesGrace. That's how colleagues know me. That's how clients know me. That's even what is says on my Press Kit - RockStar! Why RockStar? Well, many say I have a Rock Star (and I have even heard Super Star) name. And my name suites me as does that persona. It's indicative of my "flow" as a colleague recently called it; it's even reflective of the manner in which I teach and give seminars. It is my Personal Brand!

Anyone who has ever taken a class, visited my website, or worked with me in regard to their personal branding knows I am famous for one quote when it comes to branding, "Don't send a ransom note!" Your marketing pieces should not look like they were cut and pasted from various magazines with no clear conveyance of where I might find you. It is imperative to have consistency in your branding.

And equally important is tying together your physical brand and emotional brand: Who I am - RockStar! (the emotional) and my logo and colors and writing style (the physical); there should be consistency between them. I will admit I have a certain vibe and look about me. Yes it is natural; I've been polishing my own shoes since I was 5 yrs old; but it is not effortless (as I said, those shoes don't polish themselves.) I purposefully do not show at events wearing a tee shirt and sweatpants. Actually, I don't even go to the corner store wearing sweatpants. But hey, that's just me! The point is that I am reflective of my brand in tone, mannerisms, appearance, preparedness and effort.

It may or may not seem obvious as to the importance of that. I would think the former; but there are too many people walking around in the latter state of mind! But beyond the obvious, comes one major deep and practical reason. What happens when you fall victim to "identity theft"? When someone "hijacks" your style or copies your website; and in my case even down to using the exact same theme and attempted design layout? And I said "when" and not "if", because I have seen first hand when it happened to a colleague of mine and just recently when it happened to me! When I showed others what had happened, among the expressions of disbelief, where the sentiments of "It happens!"

I know to me it would seem so unlikely, repulsive and just plain stupid to do such a thing. Particular in a scenario in which you know, work and network in the same circles as the individual. Yet nonetheless, there was my website with someone else's name on it. I literally lost it. I was certain that my head was going to explode. But in the end it didn't and I was left to redesign my site and logo!

But because I really am my brand, the transition or revamp of my style was almost effortless. It took some thought and deliberation, but in the end, I know who I am and it was easy to portrait, even in another site design and logo. Similarly to updating your wardrobe, you would do the same with your brand as well over time. Does that mean I appreciate the hijacking or theft of my site and work by a false competitor? Of course not. What I do appreciate is that I have a very tight brand that in the end could not be so easily hijacked.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! JaymesGrace you are a Rockstar! What better way to handle theft and deception that to recognize it for what it is...a desperate attempt to rob you of "who you are". Brand-borrowing is so prevalent today, that is almost second nature to so many. We see it in commercials, print ads, websites, and even product development. I share your exact sentiments...no one can be you but YOU. You are deliberate, authentic and without a doubt an original. I think you should actually smile inside because people only duplicate those they deem worthy. Hey, it looks like there is someone out there who wants to be like the Rockstar JaymesGrace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, ahhhhh, your commentary made me smile out loud! Thank you Moruwa!

    ReplyDelete