Wednesday, April 28, 2010

SMM Boot Camp - One Boot Camper's Perspective



An exciting event, promotion and opportunity takes place tomorrow as the Social Media Marketing Boot Camp announces it support of GoogleHaven! You'll "see" more on what GoogleHaven is tomorrow! Today I want to share a little of what you can expect from participating in a SMM Boot Camp class. SMMBC is currently taking registrations for classes beginning the week of May 17, 2010.

Please visit www.smmbootcamp.weebly.com for registration and info.(Upcoming syllabus' will be posted shortly)

I asked Iyabo Asani of Coachiyabo.com and facebook fame Coach Iyabo, if she could share some of her insights and perspectives from her recent participation in the SMM Boot Camp. My thanks to Coach Iyabo for taking the time out to share; here's what she had to say...

As entrepreneurs, we are all overwhelmed with the amount of teaching and resources out there that teach us how to create and market our online businesses. For many of us, we do not understand the value of social media. We may have a Facebook account but we really do not know what the fuss is all about on Twitter.

Well, I thought of myself as more of an “expert” in these areas. After all, I had almost met my quota of 5,000 Facebook “friends.” I had a Facebook group and my Facebook fan page had about 800 fans. I also had over 3,000 twitter followers and I had about 1,250 LinkedIn connections. I knew to go to each of my sites every day and to communicate and engage with others. However, I was frustrated.

I did not see how this was actually helping my business. It gave me something to do everyday and I felt as if I was working in my business but I was not seeing the results I wanted.

Then I met Jaymes Grace and I signed up for her Social Media Boot Camp. I signed up for only one reason: I liked Jaymes. I promise you that I was the snob in the class. When participants in the class asked, “What is a Facebook Fan page?” I was the one in the background sighing with rushed politeness!

Well, just being a participant in the class allowed me to observe Jaymes Grace as a business woman and a teacher. I was impressed! It takes great skill to hold an online class and as the teacher, Jaymes was aware of each person’s skill level and allowed each person to show up exactly where they are and learn and move to the next level. Everyone in that Boot Camp was at a different level and each participant exponentially increased their learning about social media and how to leverage it for her business.

I was introduced to a new tool by Jaymes called SlideShare.com. I had heard it was the only way you could upload a video to LinkedIn so my ears perked up when I heard Jaymes mention it. She taught us how to use it.

I do a monthly free community call and I usually have to upload a PDF presentation for the call to my website which was not the most ideal for me. On my next call, I uploaded the PDF to SlideShare. I also uploaded the video I had created to welcome my LinkedIn connections.

Everyone on the call loved the presentation. SlideShare nominated the presentation as the slide of the day and I had over 756 views. I did see a spike in visits to my website after I uploaded the presentation to SlideShare. Guess what? SlideShare has become my favorite tool now and I have even uploaded a short audio with one of my slides. I have even figured out how to use slides for a class that I teaching so only my students can see the slide.

Needless to say, I will be attending Jaymes’ advanced Social Media Boot Camp and I am looking forward to it.

Here are some of the highlights that I came away with from this Boot Camp:

1. How to evaluate the data that Facebook supplies me about my fanpage.
2. How to create a landing page on my fan page.
3. How to capture more business prospects from my fan page.
4. How to engage in direct communication with my friends.
5. How to measure the responses that people leave me and use that to create future interactions on Facebook.
6. How to streamline and combine my social media activities.
7. How to connect with groups of people using skype and share documents.

This is just a scratch on the surface of the things I learned and the results I am seeing in my business.

I believe that to have a successful business, you have to use tools. However, the tools do not make the business. They merely showcase your business. In today’s marketplace, tools change every day. Therefore, having a teacher like Jaymes Grace show you multiple tools and how they interface with each other is important as a foundation to leverage your business.

Thanks again Coach Iyabo! Please feel free to join us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment